Monday, June 7, 2010

My name is Rick


This is Rick Violette. He is a retired power plant worker who hangs out on the K-State campus to pick up his paper. I first thought it was because he enjoyed campus but when I asked him he didn't respond how I expected him to. He basically said he came to campus because he knew a few people that worked there, so I assumed he came to visit with them, yet again I assumed wrong. Rick told me even though he knows them he doesn't come to visit them. He went on to say he didn't even know why he even stayed in town. After concluding he was just a grumpy old man who came to campus because he had nothing better to do we began chatting. Rick had plenty of stories to share with me about his life including his time in the marines, his childhood neighbors, his family, the secret to gambling on dog races, and of course baseball (the topic every old man has a story or two to tell). I soon lost track of time in my conversation with him and eventually realized we had been talking for an hour and a half. Having gotten to know Rick for that extra time I decided my conclusion was not accurate, but I still can't say for sure what his reasons for hanging out on campus were. I finally OFFICIALLY concluded I have no idea why but Rick Violette is an interesting person and I regret my initial opinion of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment